GRANDS MAGASINS DU PRINTEMPS
Historic Monuments in Supplementary Inventory
Printemps SA / Direction de l’Architecture
project management mission
Works carried out in an occupied area
cost of the works
€ 26 M excl. VAT
This project saw GMDP Architecture being awarded the Geste d’Or 2015
The buildings the Grands Magasins du Printemps department store illustrate the specificity of architecture designed in Paris in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with the use of modern construction techniques combining metal and stone. Since their construction, the buildings designed by the architects Sédille (sector 1) and Binet and Wibot (sector 2) have been successively adapted and transformed to meet commercial requirements.
Sector 1 was rebuilt following the fire in 1881 and completed in 1885.
Sector 2, built from 1907 to 1921, was in turn destroyed by fire just a few days before its inauguration. It was subsequently restored from 1921 to 1924.
Sector 1 and 2 The works concerned:
– restoration of the masonry with dissociation of the stone and metal structures responsible for the noted problems;
– restoration of the metal windows and frames as well as the original glazing;
– restoration of the existing decors: mosaics, gilded metal, marble, glazed stoneware ornaments, stained glass;
Due to quantity of works and the functional and technical constraints linked to the difficulties of accessing a site located within a retail environment, the project was subject to a multi-year programme.
Restructuration of the façade, complete project management for the creation of new façades, based on a design by Antonio Citterio. Total refection of the lobby and lighting of the façades.
Work carried out in an occupied area